Are you always scrambling for that charging cord in the middle of the night? Or do you have a disorganized mess of cords on your bedside table? Say goodbye to those woes and hello to a sleek, organized and practical charging station that you can easily build yourself.
With the right tools and materials, you can whip up a DIY nightstand charging station in a jiffy!
What You’ll Need
- Power drill
- Measuring tape
- Wood glue
- Wood boards (choose according to your tastes and needs)
- USB charging hub or outlet with USB ports (available online and in stores)
- Optional: Drill bit for countersinking screws, cabinet knobs or handles for drawers
Step 1: Measure & Cut the Wood
Using your measuring tape and saw, measure and cut your wood boards into the following pieces:
- Two side pieces, six inches wide and the height of your choice
- One top piece, width of your choice and six inches deep
- One bottom piece, width of your choice and six inches deep
- One back piece, same width as top and bottom pieces, and the height of your choice
- Dividers (optional): measure and cut two or more vertical dividers with the same height as the side pieces
- Optional: measure and cut drawer pieces if you want to add a drawer to your charging station
Step 2: Sand & Assemble the Pieces
Using your sandpaper, sand all the cut pieces until they are smooth. Apply wood glue to the edges of each side piece and assemble them with the top and bottom pieces. Secure them together with nails or screws, and use clamps to hold the pieces in place while the glue dries. Once the frame is sturdy, add the back piece and dividers (if any) in the same way.
Step 3: Add USB Charging Hub or Outlet
Using your power drill, make a hole in the back of your charging station to fit the cord of your USB charging hub or outlet. Depending on the style you choose, you may have to do some wiring according to the instructions provided. Once the hub or outlet is securely installed, plug in your devices and enjoy the convenience of having all your charging needs in one place.
Step 4: Optional: Add Drawers
If you want to add drawers to your charging station, measure and cut pieces for the front, back and sides of each drawer, using the same width and depth as your charging station. Assemble the pieces with wood glue and nails or screws, and add the cabinet knobs or handles of your choice. Install the drawers onto the charging station with drawer slides or glides, according to the instructions provided.
- A DIY nightstand charging station is a practical and stylish way to keep all your devices charged and organized, while minimizing clutter and cord chaos.
- You can build a charging station yourself with a few basic tools and materials, including wood boards, a USB charging hub or outlet, and optional drawers.
- Choose the size and style of your charging station according to your needs and taste, and customize it with finishing touches like paint or stain.
- Consider making a charging station for each member of your household, or for different rooms in your home.
According to a survey by Pew Research Center, the average adult in the United States owns three devices that require charging. With all those cords and chargers cluttering up your nightstand, it’s no wonder that a DIY nightstand charging station is a popular choice for those seeking organization and convenience. By building your own charging station, you can customize it to fit your exact needs and style, and take pride in completing a practical project that looks and feels great. So go ahead, get out those power tools and start building your very own DIY nightstand charging station today!"