3 Jun 2022 • 4 mins to read
Energy savings lie in the efficient use of energy and innovative solutions. Nowadays, many electric boilers and electric stoves are installed in most households. It is already more profitable to heat water, cook food, or heat an apartment with electricity than with gas. However, it is still too expensive, so Energy5 came up with several important energy-saving tips for your household.
1) Don't forget to turn off the lights. An easy and simple way that does not require any expenses is to develop a habit of turning off the light every time you leave the room. It would seem that this is quite elementary. However, many of us neglect it, so the meter winds up another kilowatt when you least expect it to.
2)Energy-saving lighting. Another easiest way to save a little is to replace conventional storage lamps with energy-saving ones. New LEDs appeared on the market not so long ago in addition to the most common fluorescent ones with low mercury content. Their advantage is better mechanical strength, durability, and independence from frequent switching operations. Among the cons is only their price, but if we consider that they can last longer, it fully justifies themselves over time.
3) Wipe the lamps. Another effective way to save money on lighting alone is to remember to wipe the bulbs from dust. Dust is capable of absorbing up to 20% of the light that a regular household lamp emits. Therefore, the next time it gets dark in your room, do not rush to buy a new lamp. Perhaps it should only be wiped from dust.
4) Follow the instructions on the appliances. Don't forget to descale the electric kettle because solid salts on its inner walls create high thermal resistance, which significantly reduces the efficiency of the heating element and, accordingly, increases its energy consumption. Also, remember to defrost the refrigerator and dust off the heat exchanger. It is worth remembering that if you put the refrigerator next to a heat source, the power consumption can increase significantly since the device will be forced to work in a forced mode to maintain the set temperature. A good share of consumption is due to idle-ing appliances or in-house equipment. For instance, nobody uses a PC during the week, but it’s switched on the whole time. Adjust the sleep/hibernation modes on PC and Monitors to achieve greater efficiency.
5) Get energy-saving devices. Everyone knows that leaving the charger in the outlet means paying extra money, even if at that moment we are not charging the phone or other gadget. So all electrical appliances or chargers continue to consume electricity, even if we are not using them. That is why, without worrying about an unplugged electric kettle, TV, or microwave, you can purchase special electronic devices with a timer. So, for example, you can install such a timer-outlet, having previously set the necessary algorithms, on the boiler, and it will work only for a set period. Therefore, it will not uselessly consume your electricity, emptying your wallet. Bare in mind - energy-saving devices still require regular maintenance. Otherwise, it just washes out all the benefits. For example, refrigerators still need to be defrosted once in a while to help them 'breath' properly and work efficiently.
6) A-class household appliances. Classes indicate efficient use of energy from A to G. Class A features low energy savings. It is worth remembering that energy-saving appliances consume much less energy. In addition, the difference in electricity consumption can sometimes reach up to 50%. Today there are also devices of the A+ and A++ classes, in which the energy-saving possibilities are even greater.
7) Smart meter. Did you know that in some states, tariffs at night are about two times lower than during the day? That is why it is worth installing smart meters, which will help save money on paying for electricity and reduce the likelihood of emergency blackouts. Such a device will provide you with the data needed to analyze the consumption and take the appropriate action.
8) New technologies. In the era of advanced technology in the construction industry, there is such a thing as a smart home. Smart home technology aims to provide a resource of security and safety with the help of high-tech automated technologies. However, if you cannot install the entire smart home technology set now, you can use at least its elements here and there. So, for example, you can remotely control some of your electronic devices and turn on the air conditioner in the summer before you come home, or in the cold season, reduce the temperature of the electric battery when no one is at home. You can also take advantage of natural light and wind by installing solar panels on your home or wind turbines.
9) Make minor repairs. With the help of minor repairs, it is possible to modernize your own home, thereby reducing energy consumption. So, for example, light wallpaper and painting the ceiling in delicate colors will help reflect up to about 80% of the sun's rays in the room. The darker the color, the less light they reflect, and therefore you will need more electricity to illuminate the room.
10) Install heat-reflecting mirrors. A fairly large amount of electricity is taken by heating devices that we use in the cold season. Therefore, you can install heat-reflecting mirrors in your home, which will help raise the temperature in the room by several degrees.
At Energy5, we care about your energy efficiency and do our best to facilitate greater energy savings for yourself and your household. Of course, the best and most effective way to save on energy would be switching your energy supplier and benefitting from the numerous advantages the Deregulated Markets offer. However, our energy-saving tips will also help you decrease the ever-growing electricity bill, so make sure you follow our blog for more tips, tricks, and recommendations that will ease the stress on your wallet!
27 Jul 2022 • 5 mins to read
30 Sep 2022 • 10 mins to read
15 Sep 2022 • 4 mins to read
*By subscribing to our blog, you automatically accept Energy5
terms & conditions of use.