Charge it up: How to Maintain and Troubleshoot Your Level 2 EV Charging Station
5 Apr 2023 • 6 mins to read
If you've made the switch to electric in your driving, you know the importance of having a reliable EV charging station at home. With Level 2 charging, you can juice up your battery in as little as a few hours. But, like any mechanical device, your EV charging station can experience issues.
Here's what you need to know to maintain and troubleshoot your Level 2 EV charging station.
The best way to avoid issues with your EV charging station is to keep up with regular maintenance. Here are some tips:
- Check for any loose connections on a regular basis. Tighten them as necessary.
- Inspect the cord and plug for any signs of wear and tear. Replace if you notice any damage.
- Clean the charging station regularly to prevent dust and debris from accumulating. Use a soft cloth and mild soap solution.
- Test your EV charging station periodically to ensure it's working properly. Charge up your vehicle and monitor the charging process.
If you experience any issues with your EV charging station, don't panic. Here are some common problems and potential solutions:
Station is not recognized by vehicle
- Make sure the cord is properly plugged in on both ends.
- Check if your car is compatible with your EV charging station. Some older electric vehicles may not work with newer charging stations.
- Try resetting the charging station by unplugging it for a few minutes and plugging it back in.
Charging station is not producing power
- Check if the circuit breaker for the charging station has tripped. Reset if necessary.
- Inspect the cord and plug for any signs of damage or wear and tear. Replace if necessary.
- Make sure there is no damage to the charging station itself, such as a blown fuse or loose connection. Contact the manufacturer for support if needed.
Charging is slow or stops mid-cycle
- Make sure the charging station is clean and free of debris.
- Try using a different charging cable to test if the issue is with your cable or your charging station.
- Check if your vehicle's battery is functioning properly. If it's not, it may be unable to accept a full charge.
The Advantages of Level 2 Charging
Level 2 charging is the most popular option among EV drivers because of its many advantages. Here are a few:
- Level 2 charging will juice up your car much faster than Level 1 charging, cutting your charge time significantly.
- You'll be able to charge your vehicle overnight, which provides flexibility in your life and driving pattern.
- Level 2 chargers are also compact and portable, meaning you can easily take them with you wherever you go.
The Key Takeaway
Maintaining and troubleshooting your Level 2 EV charging station is essential to ensuring a worry-free charging experience. Regular maintenance and careful troubleshooting will help you get back on the road faster and maximize the many benefits of electric driving.
Remember to always keep your station clean and check for any loose connections to prevent common issues with your EV charging station. If you experience any issues or have any questions about maintaining or troubleshooting, you should consider contacting the manufacturer of your charging station for support."
Energy5 provides end-to-end EV charging solutions for businesses
From incentives to funding, permits, installation and software, Energy5 is your trusted EVC partner.Request a callback